Children’s lung capacity improved significantly after vehicles that cause the most pollution were prohibited from driving in certain parts of London, U.K., designated as low and ultra low emissions zones, a new study found.
Researchers at Queen Mary University of London and Oxford University examined over 3,000 school children aged six to nine in central London and Luton before and after the introduction of the ultra low low emissions zones (ulez) and found that the London children’s’ lung capacity was restored to healthy levels after it was initially stunted by exposure to pollution.
Luton, the study’s comparator site, is a town outside of London and does not have any designated clean air zones.
“This evidence supports wider implementation of clean air zones as a public health intervention,” the study says, arguing that it marks an evidentiary breakthrough for an initiative which in the past had been criticized for burdening drivers.
Mayor of London Sadiq Khan introduced the plan more than seven years ago, and wrote in an essay for The Guardian this week that when it was first suggested he faced backlash from his detractors, who he said accused him of declaring “war on drivers in blind pursuit of a policy that may not even work.”
New findings showed it to be effective.
Over four years the study found that the percentage of children with impaired lung function decreased in both London and Luton, from 14 per cent to nine per cent in London and from nine per cent to seven per cent in Luton.
“To our knowledge, we provide the first evidence that air quality improvements following introduction of a clean air zone are associated with improved lung growth trajectories in children,” the study’s authors wrote.
According to their findings, exposure to traffic related air-pollution is strongly linked to impaired lung development in children and adolescents and failure to reach maximal lung growth poses an increased risk for asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, cardiometabolic disease, and earlier mortality.
It also showed that children’s lung growth accelerated in ultra low emissions zones and that it was correlated with an improvement in air quality. The depletion of their lung capacity was linked specifically to the presence of nitrogen dioxide.
Based on the evidence researchers concluded that low emissions zones should be implemented more broadly, and on an international scale.
“Children continue to be exposed to poor air quality in cities globally,'” they wrote, “decision makers globally should consider accelerating the introduction of clean air zones to improve children’s lung health.”
There are no similar initiatives currently operational in Canada.
The federal government does set out vehicle emission standards, which require car makers to meet increasingly stringent low emissions requirements.
Toronto has considered implementing congestion charges and low emissions zones to reduce traffic along major travel routes. These policies typically require drivers to pay to use a polluting vehicle within certain areas.
© 2026 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.
Police in Amsterdam say since putting out a public call for help to identify a mystery man with potential Canadian ties, they’ve received more than 500 tips.
The man, who has been nicknamed “Lucky,” collapsed on a street in Amsterdam on May 10, 2023.
He was taken to hospital where medical professionals concluded the man had suffered a brain hemorrhage or stroke.
It was determined after receiving medical care that he was left with aphasia, which affects how people speak, read, write, and understand what other people say.
“We don’t really know how much he understands and we have tried in various ways, but it’s not really possible in communication with him to find out who he really is,” said Marijke Stor, spokesperson for Amsterdam police.
Lucky had no personal identification on him when he collapsed, making it more difficult to identify him.
The case is not a criminal but a “social investigation,” and Stor said police are trying to determine his identity for multiple reasons, including to connect him with someone he knows.
“We want to not only find out who he is, but also if there are any, for example, relatives who still love him and he could get in contact with, because he is right now in a nursing facility where they are taking, of course, good care of him,” she said. “But he spends a lot of his time alone and we think it would be very nice for him if he . . . could be able to talk to someone he knows.”
The Amsterdam-West detective unit initially launched the investigation and worked to pursue every possible avenue, including talking with people he may have known in the city.
Eventually, police said their cold case team took over as the detective unit needed to focus on criminal cases. Two former officers were assigned the case and began the social investigation.
The pair, according to a news release from police, tried to map out who Lucky was in contact with and his social circles.
They determined he was a member of a Buddhist community based on Middenweg in Amsterdam, where some identified him with the nickname “Lucky.” Other sources also led them to Soep en Zo, a restaurant he would occasionally get a drink at, on Waterlooplein or Waterloo Square.
It was there that they found out some called him “Chris the Canadian,” which prompted police’s public plea to people across the Atlantic Ocean through a video released Monday.
“The people told us that he always spoke with what they called an American or a Canadian accent,” Stor said. “So the theory that he might be from America or Canada, that’s a theory we think could be really possible.”
She did caution it doesn’t mean “Lucky” is definitely Canadian or American, but it could still be a “real possibility.”
The man currently only speaks minimal words, mostly English words like “nonsense,” “definitely,” and “positive,” which he uses to agree or disagree when asked questions.
But while they’ve asked him questions about himself, including verbally, by speech computers, or pointing at letters on a map, they’re not sure how much he actually understands.
Since they made their plea on Monday, Stor said they’ve gotten more than 500 tips from the public, a number she said they’re not used to.
“What we really want is that as many people as possible see the footage of Lucky, so that the chances of someone knowing him will see (the footage) are as big as possible,” Stor said. “The chances of someone in Canada knowing who he is, we think, are there.”
RCMP said in a statement it is aware of reports of efforts by authorities in the Netherlands to identify an individual with possible Canadian connections.
It said through INTERPOL NCB Ottawa and the Mounties’ liaison officer program, it works with law enforcement agencies to facilitate international aspects of investigation.
It said it cannot provide further comment due to privacy reasons.
People can contact Amsterdam police if they have a tip to share.
© 2026 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.
The Canadian International Trade Tribunal (CITT) has concluded that “there is a reasonable indication that the dumping of wheat gluten from Italy, Poland, and the United Kingdom has caused injury to the domestic industry.”
An investigation on the matter began on June 19, with a preliminary determination set to be issued by Sept. 17.
Dumping is when “goods are sold to importers in Canada at prices that are lower than the selling price of comparable goods in the country of export or when goods are sold to Canada at unprofitable prices,” according to Canada Border Service Agency (CBSA).
Dumping can also consist of “increased volume of subject goods, price undercutting, price depression, and adverse impacts on market share, sales volume, and profitability.”
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada previously stated on May 21, 2025 that “Canadian exports of durum wheat are progressing rapidly and continue to surpass last year’s [2024] volume,” with an increase being attributed “to solid import demand from Italy,” among other nations such as Algeria, Morocco, the U.S., Spain and Chile.
For 2024-25, Statistics Canada estimated that total production of durum wheat in Canada to be 5.9 million tonnes, with total supply projected to be 6.3 million tonnes. Domestic consumption was forecasted to represent 13 per cent of the total supply.
Total trade in goods and services (including exports and imports) between the U.K. and Italy was £53.7 billion in the four quarters to the end of the first quarter of 2026, according to data from the U.K. government.
This also made Italy the U.K.’s 10th largest trading partner in the four quarters to the end of first quarter of 2026, accounting for 2.8 per cent of total U.K. trade.
The CITT also announced a preliminary injury inquiry into a complaint by Great Pacific Enterprises Limited Partnership (Genpak) based out of Mississauga, Ont., with the company alleging it has “suffered injury as a result of the dumping and subsidizing of paperboard cups and containers from China.”
The CITT will determine whether there is a reasonable indication that the alleged dumping and subsidizing have either caused or threatened injury on Oct. 16, with the investigation set to conclude by Nov. 16.
© 2026 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.
The impact of on people 60 years or older has been “underestimated” a published in suggests.
Heat limits were evaluated in young (18–39 years), middle-aged (40–59 years), and older adults (60 years) to evaluate how impacts different age groups as the planet continues to warm up.
Health academics from Stanford University estimated that if the planet gets 1.5°C warmer, 22 per cent of the world’s older adult population will experience “frequent and widespread exceedance of heat-compensability limits,” which means their bodies will no longer be able to cool them down to compensate for extreme heat levels.
Currently, Earth’s 2025 average temperature sits at 2.14 degrees Fahrenheit (1.19°C), according to NASA. However, 2024’s temperatures (2.30 degrees Fahrenheit, 1.28°C) were “the warmest on record.”
“As the planet warms, understanding where, when, and to what extent environmental conditions will exceed human heat tolerance becomes crucial,” the study states.
“Intolerable heat will be experienced at much larger scales and for longer durations, affecting far more people than previously thought.”

‘Extremes you never want to be at’: As temperatures spike, so do health hazards
India was found to have the largest population in the world exposed to at least 180 hours of “uncompensable heat stress” per year on average at 3°C warming, at 648.4 million people.
“India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Myanmar, and Niger warrant particular attention, exceeding both the absolute and proportional exposure thresholds,” the study states.
It was also found that at least 10 million older adults (at least 80 per cent of the older adult population) experiences 180 hours or more of “heat limit exceedance annually.”
In addition, older adults in south Asia and the Persian Gulf “could face sustained, day-and-night exposure for three consecutive months at 3°C or more warming.”
The study states that “the number of people aged 60 years and older is projected to double from one billion in 2020 to 2.1 billion in 2050, representing 21 per cent of the world’s population.”
Therefore, as the population continues to age, older adults will face “disproportionately severe and imminent risks” to their health.
The study also estimates that more than two-thirds of this population is “expected to reside in low-income and middle-income countries,” many of which “are also on the frontline of emerging uncompensable heat stress.”

‘Wet-bulb’ temperatures: What are they and why can they be so deadly?
“By overlooking the ageing population and heat vulnerability of older adults, previous projections based on limits for young adults might have seriously underestimated the frequency, geographical extent, and imminence of uncompensable heat stress with climate change.”
The 2025 report of the Lancet Countdown on Health and Climate Change, produced in collaboration with the World Health Organization (WHO) states that “the rate of heat-related mortality has increased 23 per cent since the 1990s, pushing total heat-related deaths to an average 546,000 deaths per year.”
“The average person was exposed to 16 days of dangerous heat in 2024 that would not have been expected without climate change, with infants and older adults facing a total of over 20 heatwave days per person, a fourfold increase over the last twenty years.”
Canada’s population is currently estimated to be 41,417,056 as of April 1, 2026, down 55,025 people from Jan. 1, according to Statistics Canada numbers from June.
March 2026 estimates state that the country’s population remains “well below the levels observed in the fourth quarters of 2023 and 2024.”
Statistics Canadaalso notedon Jan. 27 that the country’s population could soar to 76 million people, although© 2026 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.
Viral footage of a social media personality being bitten on the leg by a shark is prompting discussion about a possible rise in the number of attacks among influencers pursuing epic underwater moments with the species.
Tayane Dalazen, a 37-year-old Brazilian lawyer and influencer, was on a shark-diving excursion in the country in April when a seven-foot-long nurse shark — which are generally known for being docile — circling close to the water’s surface sank its teeth into her thigh. The incident was caught on camera, and Dalazen posted it.
In the short video, Dalazen can be seen snorkelling with several others near a boat’s stern, as a shark swims directly toward her.
“When the shark bit me, the pain was very strong,” she told the BBC. “I stayed calm because I knew I couldn’t fight the animal.”
After clinging to her thigh for several seconds, the shark loosened its grip, leaving Dalazen with a series of lacerations.
The Brazilian influencer wrote in the video’s caption that the incident occurred when she was taking part in a Discovery Channel documentary which aired in July.
While shark bites on humans are very rare, a 2020 study at the University of Technology in Auckland noted an increase in trends such as the ‘wildlife selfie,’ which it says requires close proximity to unpredictable animal species and has been gaining popularity in a way that may “contribute to wildlife harassment” or provoke animal behaviour that could “pose a hazard for people.”
In July, fishing influencer Henry Gibbs was creating content in Fiji and almost lost his leg after being bitten by a reef shark.
Similarly, in February last year, a Canadian tourist in Turks and Caicos lost both her hands while trying to get a photograph of a bull shark.
In April of 2025, the remains of a snorkeler in Israel who was reportedly swimming with a “selfie stick” were found after being killed by sharks while trying to snap photos, the BBC reported.
The New Zealand study also found that influencers and photographers were most likely to ignore safety instructions during shark-diving expeditions, though shark attacks are still extremely uncommon.
The University of Florida’s International Shark Attack File (ISAF) reports that the odds of being bitten by a shark are incredibly low. ISAF recommends ocean swimmers stay close to shore, avoid swimming at dawn or dusk and avoid excessive splashing.
The ISAF investigated 105 alleged shark-human interactions worldwide in 2025, with five total cases coming from the Bahamas.
ISAF confirmed 65 unprovoked shark bites on humans and 29 provoked bites, which occur when a human initiates interaction with a shark in some way.
The 2025 worldwide total of 65 confirmed unprovoked cases is in line with the most recent five-year (2020 to 2024) average of 61 incidents annually, according to the ISAF.
© 2026 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.